It’s a blessing that we get the opportunity to RESET life tuwing New Year. Parang computer na nag-hang lang ang peg, RESET mo lang OK na ulit.
Naalala ko tuloy ang story ni Jonah sa Bible. God had specific instructions for him to go to Nineveh. God had a plan, but Jonah disobeyed God and instead traveled the opposite direction, to Tarshish. Poor Jonah ended up swallowed by a monster fish. Buti na lang nag RESET si Jonah.
Parang ganiyan ba ang naging buhay mo noong 2016? Did you disobey God’s call and went the opposite direction, or worse, stayed and did nothing? God had a plan to use you mightily sana, kaya lang you decided to spend more time on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Nilamon ka ba ng mga monster fish ng social media? May nangyari bang maganda sa mga likes, shares at re-tweets ng online friends mo?
Follow Jonah’s example and perform a RESET. Specifically, i-RESET mo ang social media life mo so you can prioritize God’s plan for you this 2017.
- Repent and Dedicate your time to God – acknowledge that you have sinned against God, di mo Siya sinunod. Zero ang pogi-points mo sa Lord kasi isang taon Siyang “seen-zoned” mo. Ni hindi mo nga ni-like ang mga paalala N’ya, nai-share mo ba si Jesus? Humingi ka na ng tawad, now na ok?
- Examine your settings, change it – look at your social media settings, turn-off mo na ang mga notifications nito. Edit your life settings and prioritize the Lord’s notifications. Eh ano kung di ka in sa barkada, in ka naman sa Lord.
- Set a realistic and firm schedule – be determined to spend lesser time on social media, kung dati eh 8-10 hours a day kang babad, bawasan mo, gawin mong 2 hours na lang. I know it would be very hard, so pray and ask the Lord’s help. He promises to be there to help you, as James 1:5 says “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.”
- Establish your purpose – ask God to help you establish your social media purpose. Bakit ka nga ba may Facebook, Twitter at Instagram accounts? Isulat mo nga kung bakit. Iba kasi yung nakasulat ang purpose. Mas lumilinaw sa isip natin. Di ba to connect with your family and friends? Why do you have 5,000+ social media friends now? Pati ba naman yung classmate mo nung grade 2 na nag-transfer din naman after 1 quarter eh friend mo pa din sa FB?
- Treasure family and real friends – set a family and friend quota. How many relationships on social media do you really intend to develop and grow? I think 150 family/friends would just be the right number. FOCUS on your desire and energy to GROWING these relationships. Life will become more meaningful, I promise.
Stay determined in eliminating distractions. Mag-RESET ka na and focus on what the Lord needs you to do this 2017. King Solomon admonishes us to examine life through this Proverb.
Keep vigilant watch over your heart;
that’s where life starts.
Don’t talk out of both sides of your mouth;
avoid careless banter, white lies, and gossip.
Keep your eyes straight ahead;
ignore all sideshow distractions.
Watch your step,
and the road will stretch out smooth before you.
Look neither right nor left;
leave evil in the dust.